Monday, August 15, 2011

Handspun Hat.

I'm currently busy with my first swap, so there hasn't been a lot of other knitting this month so far. I did finally get around to using my own handspun in a project though.
I used the very first yarn I ever made, which presented two challenges: There wasn't a whole lot of it, and it was really uneven and bulky. I'm not good at bulky, I never know what to do with it. A hat seemed a logical choice though, because it requires very little yardage and you can adjust the size if it turns out there isn't enough. It still took a bit of trial and error and playing with different patterns, but here we are:


Shiny!


Seriously, taking a photo of my own head was almost as difficult as knitting the thing. I've never had a MySpace, so never perfected the art of taking photos of myself from slightly above (duck-lips optional).
I started out with the idea that somehow, lace and eyelets were a good way of saving yarn, which is very much not true. What does work though is knitting with a larger needle size. This hat was done on 4,5 needles, which is the biggest I own.



In the end, it became a very simple top-down stockinette hat, no pattern and no fancy bits. Surprisingly, I like it quite a lot. I used up every last bit and it fits perfectly. Surely, that's a sign that I should keep it for myself!



After a half-hearted attempt at blocking - how do you actually block a hat? - the stitch definition is not that bad and it's certainly not as uneven as by rights it should be with such a thick-thin yarn.

photo

My only concern is that after that first blocking, the hat took almost three days to dry. So probably not a good hat for rainy weather, but we'll see how it goes. It might be fine as long as it isn't soaked completely.




No comments:

Post a Comment